[4 MIN READ]
Child physical abuse exists in all corners of the country and affects children of all ages, ethnicities, and socioeconomic groups.
Consider the following facts:
- More than 2 million reports of suspected child maltreatment are investigated each year in the United States. These reported cases represent only a fraction of the abuse that children experience.
- Child maltreatment includes neglect and abuse that may be physical, sexual, emotional, or psychological.
- There are more than 650,000 substantiated cases of child maltreatment annually.
- About 18% of child maltreatment involves physical abuse.
- More than 1,500 children die each year due to abuse or neglect. 80% of these deaths are children under 4 years old.
- The incidence of child abuse is underestimated since 17% of adults in the U.S. report that they were physically abused as a child.